Black Zinc Plating
Black zinc plating is a popular metal finish that provides the underlying component with anti-galling properties and additional corrosion protection. This type of plating is typically applied to parts exposed to high temperature, high wear, and corrosive environments. Not only does this plating option provide superior protection, but it is also visually appealing, with finishes ranging from matte to various iridescent hues. The uniformity, attractiveness, and durability of black zinc plating make it highly desired for many applications and industries.
The Black Zinc Plating Process
To apply black zinc coating, zinc is applied to metal by immersing a clean steel part into a zinc plating bath and then exposing it to an electric current. Black zinc coating acts as a sacrificial coating, protecting the underlying part from damage while enhancing its physical appearance.
The black zinc coating process is relatively complicated, requiring the use of specialized equipment and a high level of expertise. The basic steps involved include:
- Start with a clean surface. Removing contaminants, dust, and debris from the parts exterior is crucial in ensuring proper adhesion.
- Prepare the plating solution. A special bath of a specially formulated electrolyte solution is then prepared. This precise solution is crucial to the success of black zinc plating.
- Submerge into a prepared bath. Once the metal part has been cleaned and the plating bath prepared, the metal part is completely submerged in the solution.
- Apply an electrical current. Introducing electricity to the submerged item creates a chemical reaction that deposits zinc ions onto the metal part until the desired thickness is achieved.
- Complete post-treatment processes. The part is then removed from the solution, rinsed, dried, and treated with a black chromate conversion coating to complete the process.
Black Zinc Plating Applications
Because of the many benefits of black zinc plating, it is utilized on a wide range of parts requiring superior corrosion protection and durability in high-stress environments. Common applications include:
- Heavy machine parts
- Outdoor equipment
- Automotive parts
Benefits of Black Zinc Plating
The benefits of black zinc plating are numerous, including reducing part visibility, a uniform and attractive surface finish, and corrosion protection. Other benefits of black zinc plating include:
- Excellent adhesion
- Stress tolerance
- Superior corrosion protection
- High-temperature tolerance
- Aesthetic appeal
- Low-stress deposit
Black Zinc Plating from New Method Plating
Black zinc plating offers many advantages for use on steel parts, including enhanced corrosion resistance, anti-galling properties, aesthetic appeal, durability, and more. These desirable qualities make it a popular coating solution for industries such as automotive, firearms, electronics, military, and many others.
At New Method Plating, we offer precision electroplating and metal finishing services, including black zinc plating. With over 80 years of experience and a commitment to quality, we provide our customers with superior electroplating services designed to meet and exceed their expectations. We maintain all the important industry-standard certifications, including:
- ISO 9001:2015
- Mil-Specs: ASTM B633, AMS 2402, MIL-STD-171, ASTM F1914, ISO 4042
- Nadcap AS7108